TERMS & CONDITIONS
Please read this agreement carefully before using the services. They represent the terms and conditions ("Terms") for using the Historic Scotland membership website. This website http://members.historic-scotland.gov.uk is owned and run by Historic Scotland.
In using this site you are agreeing and are bound to the Terms as stipulated by Historic Scotland. If you do not agree to these, then do not use our Website. You are permitted to use our Website solely on the basis of these Terms. We reserve the right, at our discretion, to update and/or revise these Terms. Please check periodically for changes.
Historic Scotland reserves the right to change the terms and conditions and benefits of membership at any time. Any changes will be notified in your quarterly magazine.
Click on a heading to reveal the full list of terms. If you cannot find the answer you are looking for, please Contact Us.
Historic Scotland Member Benefits
- Free entry. Show your valid membership card for free entry to all staffed Historic Scotland properties.
- 20% retail discount. The discount does not apply to certain products including alcohol, phonecards, stamps, reduced items and promotions. Please show your membership card at the till before making a purchase. Anyone who doesn't show a valid card at the till will be charged the normal price and the discount is non-refundable. The discount does not apply at Calanais, Duff House, Dundonald Castle, Kinnaird Head Castle Lighthouse, Skaill House, Torphichen Preceptory or The Whithorn Story. Members are not entitled to discounts on Explorer Passes, admission tickets or the hire of Historic Scotland properties.
- 10% discount in all Historic Scotland cafés.
- Quarterly members' magazine. Keeping you informed with features on history, heritage, conservation and places to visit. The magazine will also keep you up to date with events throughout the year.
- Historic Scotland events. Members get free entry to over 400 daytime events, which form an exciting year round programme. As a member you do not have to pre-purchase tickets to free Historic Scotland daytime events. Details of events are shown in the Events Guide and in your quarterly members' magazine. Alternatively, visit the events website: www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/events or email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0131 668 8885 for information.
- Free audio guide at Stirling Castle on production of a valid membership card.
- 20% discount on audio guides at Edinburgh Castle on production of a valid membership card.
- Existing members are entitled to a 20% discount on new annual Historic Scotland gift membership purchases. The 20% discount is not applicable on life membership purchases. For more details visit our Gift Membership page or call 0131 668 8999.
- Each Life member is entitled to free entry for themselves and for 2 adult guests or up to 6 accompanying children (aged 5-15 years), or a combination of 1 adult guest and up to 3 accompanying children at Historic Scotland sites.
- Life members are entitled to free entry to English Heritage, Cadw and Manx National Heritage sites immediately on joining.
- Life members’ guest allowance to English Heritage and Cadw sites is 1 adult or 6 children. At Manx National Heritage sites the allowance is for up to 6 children only.
- Concession category includes: over 60, full time students, in receipt of state benefit and Young Scot card holders.
- State benefit includes: Job Seekers Allowance, Incapacity Benefit, Income Support, Employment & Support Allowance. It does not include Child Tax Credits or Working Tax credits.
- Must be shown on entry at staffed properties and at the till before making any purchases.
- You may be asked for proof of identification for entrance.
- If a valid membership card is not shown at point of purchase for entry or retail discounts, you will be charged the full price which is non refundable.
- For joint memberships, each adult member must show their card for entry and other benefits.
- For categories including children, each card admits one adult/concession plus up to 6 children aged 5-15 years.
- Cards are only valid for the member named on the card.
- Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Concession rate applies to over 60s, full time students, anyone in receipt of state benefits, Young Scot card holders.
- For joint membership, only one person needs to fit the concession criteria to qualify for the 2 concessions category.
- Car parking is free to customers at most sites for the length of their visit.
- Parking is NOT available at Edinburgh Castle. We do provide limited parking for drivers with a Blue Disabled Badge. Please contact the site prior to your visit for details.
- Car parking is available at Stirling Castle for a maximum of 4 hours at a cost of £2 for members and £4 for non-members from 1st April - 30th September. Parking will be free to members from 1st October - 31st March. For up-to-date information regarding parking at Stirling Castle, please visit http://www.stirlingcastle.gov.uk/home/visit/facilities/parking.htm.
- For disabled parking at Stirling Castle please telephone the site for details.
- There are also car parking charges in place at Holyrood Park’s Broad Pavement Car Park and Melrose Abbey, where ticketing is administered by the council. Members are not exempt from this charge.
- Historic Scotland window stickers are not proof of membership and are not accepted for car parking discount.
- Memberships paid for by Direct Debit will be collected on or just after the 1st of the month.
- A Direct Debit payment schedule will be sent to notify you of collection dates.
- Direct Debit for UK bank account holders only.
- Banks and Building Societies may not accept Direct Debit instructions for some types of account.
- Membership is a 12 month product, if a monthly Direct Debit is cancelled the balance of the membership will be due.
- The Direct Debit guarantee is in place to protect customers and is attached to the payment schedule letter. Please keep this for future reference.
- Direct Debit is not available for Life Membership categories.
- When memberships are purchased through a Direct Debit promotion (such as 6 or 3 months free) and are paid for monthly, fees will be collected for the first 12 months with the last 6 or 3 months free. The first year of membership will last for 18 or 15 months with renewal benefits unavailable until you renew the membership.
- Direct Debit promotions where we offer extra months free are subject to their own terms and conditions. See offer terms and conditions for details.
- All offers are subject to change.
Guess the Year Competition
- Entrants must be a member of Historic Scotland.
- The competition is not open to employees of Historic Scotland.
- The winner will be selected randomly.
- Historic Scotland reserves the right to cancel this competition if necessary.
Direct Debit Renewal - 2 Months Extra Free
- Offer only available when paying by Direct Debit.
- Offer available from 01 December 2011.
- Offer available for a limited time. This offer may be withdrawn at any time at Historic Scotland's discretion.
- Offer only available to renewing members of Historic Scotland.
- Offer not available for gifts, life or new memberships or in conjunction with any other offer (e.g. member get member).
- For monthly Direct Debits, fees will be collected for the first 12 months with the last 2 months free.
- For annual Direct Debits, the full amount will be taken in the first month of membership.
- Direct Debit for UK bank account holders only.
- Membership is an annual product. If a monthly Direct Debit is cancelled the balance of the membership will be due.
- All offers are subject to change.
Gift Promotion - 2 Months Extra Free
- Offer only available on new gift memberships purchased between 01 October to 31 December 2013 (inclusive).
- Offer only available online. Offer not available at our properties, by post or by phone.
- Offer only available when payment method is Credit or Debit Card.
- 2 months extra free is for the recipient only.
- Offer not available for renewals or life membership.
- Member 20% discount is available in addition to this offer. To qualify for the discount you must be registered and logged in to the members only area of the website.
- Offer not available in conjunction with any other offer.
- Christmas gifts purchased prior to December will be given an expiry date of 28/02/2015 and will be posted at the beginning of December. Non-Christmas gifts will be posted within 5 working days.
- Renewal benefits (free entry to English Heritage, CADW and Manx National Heritage) will only become available to members upon renewal of their membership after 14 months.
Member get Member
- Member get Member discount not applicable on Life memberships.
- Discount not available at Calanais, Duff House, Dundonald Castle, Kinnaird Head Castle Lighthouse, Skaill House, Torphichen Preceptory or The Whithorn Story.
- Prize draw for free renewal: If the existing member is a life member, the prize will be a £40 voucher to spend in any Historic Scotland shop.
- Member Get Member discount not available in conjunction with any other offer.
Photography competition rules
- An entrant can submit a maximum of three photographs.
- Entries must be taken in or near Historic Scotland locations.
- All images must be submitted as digital files.
- Digital images should be high resolution and submitted by email or on CD. Each image should not exceed 6MB in size.
- Images may be enhanced only to remove spots or scratches.
- All entries are sent at the photographer's risk and Historic Scotland cannot accept liability for damage or loss. Entries will not be returned to entrants. All photos must be legally obtained, with permission if appropriate.
- Entrants must be the sole author and owner of copyright for all images entered.
- Copyright in all images submitted for this competition remains with the respective entrants. Where an image is used, the photographer will be credited. However, in consideration of entering the competition, each entrant grants Historic Scotland a licence to feature competition images in the publication, website or any promotional material connected to Historic Scotland.
- The competition is not open to employees of Historic Scotland or Think.
- Winners will be notified by 11 April 2014.
- Historic Scotland reserves the right to cancel this competition or alter any of the rules, if necessary.
- If the winner is unable to be contacted after reasonable attempts, Historic Scotland reserves the right to either offer the prize to a runner up or to re-offer the prize in any future competition.
- These rules are governed by the laws of Scotland.
- The decision of the judges is final.
- Stirling Castle tour to be redeemed by 31 December 2014 at a time agreed by both parties.
- The first prize includes an iPad mini. The prize is subject to availability. If, for any reason, it becomes unavailable we reserve the right to supply a suitable alternative prize of a similar value.
- Entrants must be a Historic Scotland member or, in the case of the junior category, their parent/guardian must be a Historic Scotland member.
Historic Scotland Websites and material relating to government information, Products and services (or to third party information, Products and services), is provided 'as is', without any representation or endorsement made and without warranty of any kind whether express or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, compatibility, security, completeness and accuracy.
We do not warrant or represent that the functions contained in the material available on these sites will be uninterrupted or error free, that defects will be corrected, or that this site or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or represent the full functionality, accuracy or reliability of the materials.
In no event will Historic Scotland be liable for any expense, loss or damage including, without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any expense, loss or damage whatsoever arising from use, or loss of use, of data, or loss of profits, arising out of or in connection with the use of our websites or reliance on its content.
No data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed as totally secure. Whilst we strive to protect such information, we do not warrant and cannot ensure the security of any information which you transmit to us. Accordingly, any information which you transmit to us is transmitted at your own risk.
Registration & security
You may be asked to register to purchase Products from our Website and lawfully enter into and form contracts. To register for our services, you must be over eighteen years of age. You must ensure that the details provided by you on registration or at any time are true, correct and complete in all respects.
You must stipulate a bona fide delivery address. You agree not to impersonate any other person or entity or to use a false name or a name that you are not authorised to use. You must inform us immediately of any changes to your personal information by updating this as and when necessary.
If you have chosen to opt-in to receive future communications from Historic Scotland, then your details will be held until such time as you choose to unsubscribe from the service. Users who no longer wish to receive our communications may opt-out by clicking unsubscribe option on any email communication received or the user may contact us to opt-out.
When you purchase from our website, you will be guided through the process of placing an order by a series of simple instructions.
We will send to you an order acknowledgement email detailing the Products you have ordered. This is not an order confirmation or order acceptance from us.
- Order acceptance and the completion of the contract between you and us will take place on the dispatch to you of the Products (depending on your choice of delivery method) ordered unless we have notified you that we do not accept your order or you have cancelled it in accordance with the policy 'How to cancel your order'.
Non-acceptance of an order may be a result of one of the following:
- The Product you ordered being unavailable from stock;
- Our inability to obtain authorisation for your payment;
- Technical errors;
- You not meeting the eligibility to order criteria set out in the Registration & Security section above.
How to cancel your order
If you wish to exercise your right to cancel a contract, prior to order despatch, contact 0131 668 8999 or email email@example.com to cancel your order. If your order has already been dispatched please follow the procedure set out in our "Returns" policy.
For Historic Scotland membership purchases online, you are entitled to cancel this contract prior to receiving your pack/cards. Any refunds requested after this point will be at the discretion of the Historic Scotland Membership Team. This does not affect your statutory rights under Scots Law.
All prices on our websites are in pounds sterling £ inclusive of the current rate of Value Added Tax VAT applied in the UK (where applicable) and are correct at the time of entering the information onto the system. VAT Reg No: GD 888 8455 42
The total cost of your order is the price of the Product(s). Payment can be made by any of the methods specified in the Payment section of our websites and payment will be debited and cleared from your account at time of order. Prices may change at any time prior to acceptance of your order.
You confirm that the credit/debit card that is being used is yours. We accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Maestro. Solo cards will not be accepted as of 28th February 2011.
All credit/debit cardholders are subject to validation checks and authorisation by the card issuer. If the issuer of your payment card refuses to or does not, for any reason, authorise payment to us, we will not be liable for any delay or non-delivery.
Credit card transactions are made on a separate secure server, with full encryption of all credit card data. Your credit card details and personal information will not be shared with any other company or organisation.
Description of Products
We will take all reasonable care to ensure that all details, descriptions and prices of Products appearing on the Website are correct at the time when the relevant information was entered onto the system. Although we aim to keep the Website as up to date as possible, the information including Product descriptions appearing on this Website at a particular time may not always reflect the position exactly at the moment you place an order.
Any description given is for information only and does not constitute a sale by description. No warranty (expressed or implied) is given concerning the quality, condition or suitability for any purpose of any Products purchased.
We have taken great care in presenting the products on our website as accurately as possible. The images you see will depend on your monitor's display and colour capabilities. We are therefore unable to guarantee that the product images you see are an accurate representation of the actual merchandise.
If a product is priced inaccurately on our site due to system or typographical errors, we reserve the right to correct any and all errors when they do occur and not to honor inaccurate or erroneous prices. Our prices are also subject to change without notice.
We endeavour to ensure that all merchandise offered on the website is available at the same price as in the physical stores on our sites however we reserve the right to change these prices at our discretion.
Refunds may be available in special circumstances and will be made at the sole discretion of Historic Scotland. Any refunds authorised will be made using the same payment type as the goods were purchased with.
If your order has already been dispatched and you wish to cancel your order, the membership pack and cards must be returned before any refund will be processed. Your order should be returned to 'The Membership Team, Historic Scotland, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, Edinburgh, EH9 1SH' within 14 days of the dispatch date.
If your order is not received within 14 days of its dispatch date a partial refund may be given, this is at the sole discretion of Historic Scotland.
The contract will be concluded in English.
- For joint memberships, all membership information will be sent to one address.
- An additional overseas postage charge of £10 applies to Annual Membership categories for all addresses outside the UK and Ireland. This applies to the 1st year of membership only.
- The membership pack will be posted within 5 working days of the order being placed, unless otherwise contacted by the Membership Team.
Third party links
To provide increased value to our Users, we may provide links to other websites or resources for you to access at your sole discretion. We are not responsible for the availability of such external sites or resources, and do not review or endorse and are not responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for (i) the privacy practices of such websites, (ii) the content of such websites, including (without limitation) any advertising, content, products, goods or other materials or services on or available from such websites or resources or (iii) the use to which others make of these websites or resources, nor for any damage, loss or offence caused or alleged to be caused by, or in connection with, the use of or reliance on any such advertising, content, products, goods or other materials or services available on such external websites or resources.
Intellectual Property and Right to use
You acknowledge and agree that all copyright, trademarks and all other intellectual property rights in all material or content supplied as part of the Website shall remain at all times vested in us or our licensors. You are permitted to use this material only as expressly authorised by us or our licensors.
You acknowledge and agree that the material and content contained within the Website is made available for your personal non-commercial use only and that you may (if necessary to make a Purchase) download such material and content onto only one computer hard drive for such purpose. Any other use of the material and content of the Website is strictly prohibited.
You agree not to (and agree not to assist or facilitate any third party to) copy, reproduce, transmit, publish, display, distribute, commercially exploit or create derivative works of such material and content.
You may not assign or otherwise transfer any of your rights under these Conditions.
You agree fully to indemnify, defend and hold us, and our officers, directors, employees, agents and suppliers, harmless immediately on demand, from and against all claims, liability, damages, losses, costs and expenses, including reasonable legal fees, arising out of any breach of the Conditions by you or any other liabilities arising out of your use of this Website, or the use by any other person accessing the Website using your details and/or your Personal Information.
We reserve the right to:
- modify or withdraw, temporarily or permanently, this Website (or any part thereof) with or without notice to you and you confirm that we shall not be liable to you or any third party for any modification to or withdrawal of the Website;
- change the Conditions from time to time, and your continued use of the Website (or any part thereof) following such change shall be deemed to be your acceptance of such change. It is your responsibility to check regularly to determine whether the Conditions have been changed. If you do not agree to any change to the Conditions then you must immediately stop using the Website;
- withdraw any Products from this Website at any time and/or remove or edit any materials or content on this Website.
We may refuse to process a transaction for any reason or refuse service to anyone at any time at our sole discretion. We will not be liable to you or any third party by reason of our withdrawing any Product from this Website whether or not that Product has been sold; removing or editing any materials or content on the Website; refusing to process a transaction; or unwinding or suspending any transaction after processing has begun.
Historic Scotland management reserves the right to refuse admission to any visitor and, in the interest of the public and for safety reasons, we also reserve the right to ask visitors to leave any Historic Scotland property at any time.
Limitation of Liability
While we will use reasonable endeavours to verify the accuracy of any information we place on the Website, the Website is provided on an "as is" and "as available" basis without any representation or endorsement and we make no warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, in relation to the Website, or any transaction that may be conducted on or through it including but not limited to, implied warranties of non-infringement, compatibility, security, accuracy, conditions of completeness, or any implied warranty arising from course of dealing or usage or trade.
We make no warranty that the Website will meet your requirements or will be uninterrupted, timely or error-free, that defects will be corrected, or that the site or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or bugs or represents the full functionality, accuracy, reliability of the Website. We will not be responsible or liable to you for any loss of content or material uploaded or transmitted through the Website.
We will not be liable, in contract or delict (except in the case of fraudulent or negligent misrepresentations) or otherwise out of or in connection with the Conditions for:
- any economic losses (including without limitation loss of revenues, profits, contracts, business or anticipated savings); or any loss of goodwill or reputation; or any special or indirect losses, suffered or incurred by that party arising out of or in connection with the provisions of any matter under the Conditions.
- Nothing in the Conditions shall exclude or limit our liability for death or personal injury resulting from our negligence or that of our servants, agents or employees.
- Nothing in the Conditions shall limit or exclude our liability in respect of any fraudulent or negligent misrepresentation whether or not such has become a term of the Conditions.
We shall not be responsible for any breach of these Conditions caused by circumstances beyond our control. The provision of this Website does not include provision of computer or other necessary equipment to access the Website. To access it you will need an Internet connection and appropriate telecommunication links. For the avoidance of doubt, we shall not be liable for any telephone or other costs that you may incur.
If any part of the Conditions shall be deemed unlawful, void or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed to be severable from the Conditions and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any of the remaining provisions of the Conditions.
If you breach these Conditions and we ignore this, we will be entitled to use our rights and remedies at a later date or in any subsequent situation where you breach the Conditions.
The Conditions in force at the date of despatch of your Product govern our relationship with you. You confirm that, in accepting the Conditions, you have not relied on any representation save insofar as the same has expressly been made a term of these Conditions and you agree that you shall have no remedy in respect of any representation.
The Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Scotland and you irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Scottish courts.
In these terms and conditions, unless the context otherwise requires, the following words and phrases shall have the following meanings:
- "Conditions" means these terms and conditions;
"Personal Information" means the details provided by you on registration;
- "Product" means a Product displayed for sale on the Website;
- "Users" means the Users of the Website collectively;
- "We/Us" means Historic Scotland acting on behalf of the Scottish Ministers;
- "Website" means Historic Scotland owned and managed Websites or any subsequent URL that may replace it;
- "You" means a User of this Website and, where applicable, the party purchasing the Product.
If users have any questions or suggestions regarding our Terms & Conditions, please contact us at:
Address: The Web Team, Historic Scotland, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, Edinburgh, EH9 1SH